Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tom and Karen + 6 minus 4

With apologies (not really) to Jon and Kate who are very busy trying to screw up the lives of their young children.
As many of you know, we're in the middle of a life-changing move. Our pursuit of radio is taking us 300 miles from home to central VA. Karen & I and 2 of the boys will call VA home in 2 short weeks. Our other 4 children are in school, on their own and will visit.
For the radio crowd...moving comes with the gig, I know...but so far we have taken short journeys.
My wife has been away and on the job for 5 weeks...we've been packing and trying to sell a home. I've interviewed and searched for a new job in radio. Together we've searched on-line and in person for a new place to live.
I'm happy to report we've found a wonderful place perfect for us, close to work, with the amenities that will make a difficult situation much easier.
This is where I admit it IS difficult. Our career-based decision affects all of us in different ways, but in the end, is the right decision.
Radio people have always moved across the country for the next gig...because they feel so strongly about what they do, and because they feel so strongly...the business of radio is better. The passion that exists in the radio business is the reason it WILL survive all the BS...all the challenges and changes.
No offense to the man with the pipe wrench, but I don't know of many plumbers who uproot it all to install a toilet.
You have to care about what you do enough to step off the edge. The decision to move wasn't a premium choice...it was our choice. I'm glad we made it.

1 comment:

  1. good luck on the big move!!! Your kids will do great.... Jon and Kate that's another story.... I am following your blog now it's Jaymie aka Kelly Green formerly of WGGY in PA.... Talk soon check out my blog when you get a chance http://just-shelby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete